Groups like the American Medical Association and the FDA that advocate the use of mercury fillings, also known as silver fillings or amalgam, acknowledge that mercury is a toxic heavy metal that can cause neurological problems, but they still insist that it is safe to use as a tooth filling for cavities. These fillings release mercury vapor each time a person chews on them, causing the body to inhale and absorb this toxic vapor. Eighty percent of this vapor accumulates in the body’s tissues because the body is unable to effectively excrete it.
Once the toxicity of mercury enters the bloodstream, it races through the blood and to each major organ. The damage that inhaled mercury can cause is permanent and deadly, however, it can be avoided altogether. Consulting a dentist about safe mercury filling removal is the best way to avoid developing extremely harmful health conditions.